This is a statement by the ANC Bitou Chief Whip, Phakie Mbali, in response to Helen Zille’s accusations regarding the Ward 7 By-Election to be held on 17 September 2014.
Despite of the decision taken by the ANC to not publish bad publicity for the greater Bitou area and its residents, the false and malicious press statement issued by DA leader Helen Zille warrants a response.
1. The resignation of ANC Councillor Nolan Stuurman:
- The formal resignation letter received form Nolan Stuurman states “family issues” as the reason for his resignation. He further offers his support for the ANC in the upcoming elections, which offer was declined.
- Nolan Stuurman was offered a bribe form the municipality. This included a job offer as well as money for his “relocation costs” to George, where he is supposed to start working. In the interim he was also offered a transport contract from the Bitou municipality.
- This was done as a direct result of a decision taken by the DA leadership that they will not hand over power to the ANC in Bitou at any prize.
ANC “Dirty Tricks” to “cling to power”:
- The ANC does not need any dirty tricks to “cling to power”. The DA is in power and we fail to see how dirty tricks like vandalism and violence will move the voters of Bitou to vote ANC.
- It is moreover not ANC Ministers that will have to stand trial in the near future for Charges of sedition and public violence, but DA Ministers.
- Just like when the court found then that the allegations levelled by DA candidate and Speaker of Council, Annelize Olivier, of violence and intimidation was unsubstantiated and devoid of all truth, there are no basis for Zille’s allegations now.
- The DA must realise that they are dealing with well-informed voters in Bitou and just like their false allegations and accusations was not believed by the people during the By-Election in New Horizon, they will not be believed now. The DA must stop insulting our people’s intelligence.
3. The ANC are desperate because they know if we win this ward from them, the DA will no longer need a coalition to govern Bitou:
- How can the ANC be desperate because the DA will no longer need a coalition? It seems that Zille is confused as to the current state of affairs in Bitou.
- It is clear that the DA wishes to put the blame for their failures in Bitou on the coalition arrangement with COPE.
- The DA always tries to escape responsibility for their actions as we became accustomed to.
- However, we fail to understand how blame can be shifted in instances of financial maladministration, corruption, nepotism, sky high and unlawful tax increases and general failure to make good on one single election promise made in the 2011 elections.
The DA has failed the people of Bitou and keeps on insulting their intelligence. The people of Bitou will show that on 17 September 2014!