WILL YOU HELP ME?
“Hope has a cost. Hope is not comfortable or easy. Hope requires personal risk. It is not about the right attitude. Hope is not about peace of mind. Hope is action. Hope is doing something. The more futile, the more useless, the more irrelevant and incomprehensible an act of rebellion is, the vaster and more potent hope becomes. Hope never makes sense. Hope is weak, unorganized and absurd. Hope, which is always non-violent, exposes in its powerlessness, the lies, fraud and coercion employed by the state. Hope knows that an injustice visited on our neighbor is an injustice visited on all of us. Hope posits that people are drawn to the good by the good. This is the secret of hope’s power. Hope demands for others what we demand for ourselves. Hope does not separate us from them. Hope sees in our enemy our own face.” – Chris Hedges
Apathy is sympathy for the Devil.
The world’s a stage and most of the people prancing upon it are actors, empty shells of living that haven’t realized that opinion is proportionate to knowledge, and belief proportionate to action.
Hate, stupidity and distraction are South Africa’s favourite entertainment channels. How do we get community empathy and civil rights to compete? I can’t answer that. I’ve been banking my head against the hard door of our country for so damn long I’ve got a permanent headache, the kind that shakes your teeth before exploding snot out your ears. If that’s happened to you, you’re the cool person I want to know.
* * * * * *
I’d already pissed off the ‘sensibilities’ of hundreds before they opened the first page of this book. The DA subtitle would have taken care of that. Some bias is the insurmountable kind. But I’ve got to hope cause without it there’s no reason to stand on the right side of a cliff. Besides, I have the comfort of you having read this far.
If we want change, we must grasp for it with both hands. We must also be willing to ask for help when we need it.
“WILL YOU HELP ME?”
Ok, now we’re down to a more manageable crowd. I don’t have to shout anymore.
* * * * * *
The easiest way to help is by subscribing to my page, sharing links and urls, getting yourself and others educated. Awareness is hopefully protection for me, hopefully gets the attention of the President. At the least, the sales from the book will enable me to write the more important sequel.
ACTION #2 – 5 MINUTES
Send a simple email addressed to President Cyril Ramaphosa, Ccied to his senior staff members listed below. Tick for a Read Receipt.
You can refer to the book, my letter to him, and the failures by the Office of the Presidency and the Director of the Presidential Hotline to address the corruption I’ve reported. It can be added that the National Council of Provinces has failed, for four years, to conclude related proceedings, the Love Knysna Petition.
- President of South Africa – PresidentRSA@presidency.gov.za
- Presidency Chief of Staff Roshene Singh’s PA – Fezile@presidency.gov.za
- Private Office of the President Ntombi Sanda – email@example.com
- Presidential Hotline Director Melisizwe Bleki – Melisizwe@dpme.gov.za
* * * * * *
ACTION #3 – 15 MINUTES
Now it gets harder for DA fans whom I’m asking to step outside their comfort zone.
There will always be die-hard political supporters on all sides that couldn’t be persuaded of the truth if a library of evidence dropped on their head. Some people are gang members for life. Some are bound to troll me. But if you’re a good South African worried by what I’ve shared with you, know that the DA doesn’t have to be destroyed, just fixed – we need opposition parties.
Long ago, I uselessly asked people to repair the DA from the inside. Hopefully I’m reaching a wider audience and that’s worth a shot again. Tell the DA you want to keep voting for them but want answers and their strong commitment to action.
Contact their leaders. I suggest sending separate emails, ensuring you request an automatic read receipt. If no reply, follow up politely weekly, each time ticking for receipt. They may turn that auto response feature off, as they’ve done for me, but it’s worth trying.
- DA Leader Mmusi Maimane – firstname.lastname@example.org
- DA Federal Executive Chairperson James Selfe – email@example.com
You can use the following as a suggestion but note that copying it is equally effective so long as your name is attached i.e. they’re obliged to respond to you:
Dear _________________________________ (fill in name)
I write to you as a DA supporter living in __________________ (fill in area). I’m concerned about accusations against the Democratic Alliance (DA) by activist Mike Hampton, as expressed in his book, ‘Same Poo, Different Government’.
Helen Zille and many others are obviously aware of Hampton. It was publicly confirmed on Cape Talk Radio by DA Western Cape Leader Bonginkosi Madikizela that the DA has been aware of the corruption and maladministration issues Hampton’s presented. That’s compounded by media coverage and the Love Knysna Petition to Parliament (which the DA attended). Hampton has provided read receipts for emails he’s sent you. You know who he is. You know the main issues which range from tender fraud to criminal propaganda.
Provide me the DA’s, Western Cape Government’s and Knysna Municipality’s policies on handling complaints. As your party leads the latter areas, there should be no issue providing all. Include response times and escalation details.
The DA is likely to have failed to comply with it’s own rules. Simultaneously provide explanation for your failure to act on Hampton’s complaints. If you claim to have done so, describe your responses to him (not the threats or the refusals to help, only where you helped or queried for more information).
Note that I’ll consider sharing your response to me with Hampton. I want to be sure to gain a clear understanding of what has or hasn’t transpired.
Although there are many issues to address, I will only mention a few for the sake of positive and speedy response from you.
- It’s suspicious that Hampton was repeatedly taken to Court or threatened by DA members and their friends. Too much happened for it to be coincidental. There was obviously a broader picture playing, something that cannot be explained away by the DA as individual actions. Did the DA investigate? If not, why not? If you did, then why did you not address the Public, explaining the DA’s behaviour and addressing Hampton’s allegations with substantive fact?
- Why did Helen Zille, either as a DA figure or the Premier (a position she cannot hold without sanction from the DA), not address Hampton’s evidence? Why, instead, did she and several implicated MEC’s choose to also threaten him with legal action (litigation and criminal liability)? Why did she not first address the obviously important and worrying corruption topics listed in his emails to her? Explain how that wasn’t the logical starting point for a responsible and caring representative.
- The DA Federal Executive received the same information as Zille yet also did nothing. Was the propaganda attack against Hampton, which associated him with mental illness and child abuse, with permission, or under instruction, from the DA leadership? Alternatively, explain why the DA Federal Executive failed to act against that abhorrent behaviour by its representatives and constituents.
- Why did the DA choose to discipline Knysna Councillors Mark Willemse and Councillors Peter Myers over minor issues yet ignore theirs and Hampton’s complaints on major issues that included the illegal financing of Knysna Tourism, an illegally appointed Director, and the illegal use of Public funds for lawyers against Hampton? How can the DA’s unfair and disproportionate actions be viewed as anything except favouritism, serving the interests of a DA faction seeking to maintain control?
- How can the DA’s councillor selection process be trusted if Helen Zille, having been given evidence of wrongdoing, never stopped the appointments of Dr Martin Young and Rowan Spies in 2016? Instead, which also requires explanation, they became prominent representatives. Rowan Spies was appointed to the District MAYCO. Young became the DA’s loudest voice online, through propaganda sites and as Admin of the Knysna DA’s Facebook page where he deleted Public criticism.
- Why did the DA not act against Young for repeatedly threatening to sue citizens the DA is supposed to represent?
- Why was Eleanore Spies made Speaker for the Garden Route District after a forensic report recommended disciplinary and criminal charges against her? Why did the DA leadership not act against her for illegally using municipal funds for legal fees against Hampton? Why is the DA ok with the abuse of Public funds? Why has the DA protected both Spies’? Is it true that they secretly worked for the DA when still in the ANC?
- Many DA members broke the DA’s social media policy when attacking Hampton. Young went to the extreme when compiling a fake psychiatric diagnosis of Hampton. That you never acted provides two options 1. The DA leadership was the hidden hand attempting to discredit Hampton for exposing the party’s wrongdoings or 2. The DA is complicit through knowledgeable inactivity. Please explain that situation. Does the social media policy exist only to target factions within the DA instead of acting as an instrument of good behaviour for all, protecting the party’s image and the citizens it serves?
- Why has the DA repeatedly proclaimed their stance against corruption yet failed to act where easiest, in their backyard? How am I expected to believe any of the DA’s election promises?
- Will Leader Mmusi Maimane and Federal Executive Chairperson James Selfe clean the air by recording a meeting with Hampton? It’s obvious only the most senior leaders can embrace that responsibility, answering for themselves and their juniors.
- In the name of the justice you claim to believe in, will the DA volunteer to a Commission of Inquiry by National Government?
Please don’t waste time. You have the tools to be aware of the situation and respond appropriately and professionally. Answer precisely, point by point, and without distractions such as character assassination.
These are serious issues. Treat them seriously. Keep in mind that some DA members who appear to be crooks are still in power, capable of more damage.
I repeat that I’m a DA supporter. Provide me reason to continue giving you my vote. Give me action and honesty to believe in.
_______ (your name)
You can send a variation of the letter to Knysna’s rotten leadership:
- Knysna DA Mayor Mark Willemse – firstname.lastname@example.org
These emails will be productive no matter the outcome. Either the DA:
- Ignores you, losing your vote because they lied about who they are and what values they represent or;
- They respond with deliberate vagueness or new lies, proving their unwillingness to be honest and responsible or;
- They act appropriately, accepting responsibility and pursuing justice vigorously.
* * * * * *
ANC, COPE & ACDP members can help too. In addition to the letters to the Presidency, the following people have been informed of the corruption yet failed to act. All have party underlings on the Knysna Council and/or in the Western Cape Parliament:
- ACDP Cheryllyn Dudley – email@example.com
- ANC WC Leader Ebrahim Rasool – firstname.lastname@example.org
- ANC WC Cameron Dugmore – email@example.com
- ANC WC Chief Whip Pierre Uys – firstname.lastname@example.org
- ANC WC Richard Dyanti – email@example.com
- ANC WC Faiez Jacobs – firstname.lastname@example.org
- COPE Secretary General Rob Hutchinson – email@example.com
- EFF Bernard Joseph – firstname.lastname@example.org
- FF+ Petrus Groenewald – email@example.com
Next: ‘About Me’
Or download the full ‘Same Shit, Different Government: Book 1 – The Corruption & Intimidation’ for free: