George W. Brent Steytler, Knysna’s first Town Clerk (from 1882 to 1914), lived in the adjacent home, named “Brent House”.
In 1921 John F. Y. Stalker bought the property and built the pharmacy shop in 1923, designed by Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn.
In 1924, shortly after completion, chemist P. L. Looch moved in with his business, the “Knysna Pharmacy”.
In 1927 Hugh McGregor Fyfe acquired the pharmacy and was proprietor until the late 1940’s.
The property was bought by Pieter van Reenen, saw-millers and furniture manufacturers in 1944 and subsequently by Philip Finkelstein in 1958.
The pharmacy traded as Fyfe’s into the early 1990’s.
In 2012, the old Fyfe’s Pharmacy stood next door to Ackerman’s, diagonally across the street from the Olive Tree restaurant. It’s the one with the beautifully stained, glass skylights.