The first church was consecrated in 1863. The first resident priest was appointed in 1891.
Plans for the new church were drawn by Brother John Tenhof and developed further by architect K. Hussey of Pretoria, whilst Brother Joseph Becker was responsible for most of the carpentry work.
Bishop Hippel laid the foundation stone on 23 April 1949 and the church was opened and blessed by him on 17 October 1950.
The design of the church is in the modified Mediterranean Revival style.