Firstly, read Part 1 here if you haven’t already.
I haven’t made a final decision on how i’m going to spend it as i want more time to think so as to be as effective as possible. However, my thoughts are running in these directions:
- Some will be on advertising so as to ensure that important issues affecting our lives will reach a greater audience.
- I will organise and distribute the mother of all petitions that will cut through the bullshit and ask questions of our politicians that, if answered, will allow us, for the first time, to understand the status of Knysna and have us heard (never forget that the politicians and municipal staff work for us!). If they refuse to answer, they will be discredited once and for all. Justing the asking of these questions will assist an awakening in the public’s mind.
- I wish to train people on computers e.g. it would be lovely if everyone could build there own website and thus be empowered. Concurrent with that, i want more niche website advertising Knysna cheaply or for free. I’d also like to offer the best website hosting deal so as to drive prices down for the whole town.
- A projector would be a great advantage so that we can show mind-awakening documentaries and promote a culture of education and thought. The first screening would be Miner’s Shot Down (about the Marikana Massacre)or which i’ve already received permission. A follow-up would be a Rasta journey.
- Then there’s disadvantaged kids who myself and volunteers take on Love Knysna Projects trips so that they experience this town as their own – i want to do more of that whilst turning it into an education program too. I would love to develop chess as a town sport – it’s a cheap activity that broadens the minds of both children and adults.
Where did the money come from? As many of you know, my mother died. Apparently one of her dying wishes was for a unit trust to be cashed in and for my sister, niece, nephew and i to receive the birthday and xmas presents we never received for most of our lives. I never wanted them anyway. I keep my birthday secret and don’t celebrate it or xmas, avoiding those ‘dutiful’ kind of presents as i expect us to all treat one another well all the time. Relationships are determined by every day life, not public holidays… BUT it’s arrived at a crucial time and i sincerely believe, as said earlier, that this is a vital year, not only for myself but the future of Knysna.
There was more and so i’ve fixed the computer, paid rent ahead, stocked the fridge with ‘strangers’, bought 60 cans of food, 21 toilet rolls, tea, coffee, toothpaste etc. – i can survive without worry for the next 3 months and focus on the challenges ahead without distraction (after seeing a doctor cause my lungs have become super allergic lately). For those who know me, life has generally been a battle so to not have those worries for that long will be a first experience in Knysna. I’d also like to own my own bed and fridge rather than those i’ve borrowed. Outside of those personal comforts, Knysna must be the focus this year.
When i’m broke again, then i’m broke. There is sufficient argument for simple living being a better way of living…
…but let’s try make sure that this money is spent well. It isn’t much but i’m good at making money go far.
As said, some must be invested into an awareness campaign so that everyone knows what is going on. Knysna Municipality and the Knysna DA are playing wasteful with your money and dirty with intention by adding a one million rand media consultant on top of the R1.5-million rand communication office that won’t communicate anything important to us – they are disgrace and it must be considered as maladministration in light of all the challenges we are facing. I’ve outdone the latter with more smarts than cash but the former will be a new challenge (not least to mention an arrogant waste of our money). Considering their past actions and current nasty FB pages, i believe that it’s partly to shut me up, to win the media war they’re losing (they’ve spent a small fortune there too) and to try make themselves look good before the next municipal election.
We have to ensure that their bullshit stops – we must expose it and flush it! And ensure that they start working for us first!!!
Knysna’s baddies will undoubtedly attack me more. I expect this to be a rough year. Don’t put faith in rumour, gossip or press releases posted by anonymous people or anonymously run Facebook profiles.
I CANNOT DO THIS ALONE.
This isn’t just about me. This is a war for the heart and future of Knysna. If you intend being a resident here, this is your war too. If you’re not in it, we will all lose. I need you to choose right over wrong, standing up over fear, dedicated interest over selfishness. Simply, I NEED YOUR HELP.
Love Knysna, Save Knysna!