Knysna Knews is most known for being an anonymously run Facebook page that bashes me, an activist who’s been trying to bring justice to a number of questionable situations involving the Democratic Alliance in Knysna. These include a tender deciding the future of our town being given to a property developer, and the illegal use of public funds being used to pay the debt of Knysna Tourism.
Since my submission of allegations of maladministration and corruption to Parliament earlier this month, Knysna Knews and some of its subscribers have increased their attempts to discredit me. What’s being said gets extremely nasty. Labelling me negatively with children is as low as it gets, especially since I run a volunteer program for kids.
What’s their motive?
When evidence is presented against the DA and the Knysna Municipality, its supporters deliberately lie that there’s no evidence. That’s not confirmation bias, that’s propaganda. The only people who seem to benefit from that are those in the DA and Municipality I’ve accused of wrongdoing.
It’s notable that supporters of these anonymous posts (or related posts on other FB pages) include a number of prominent people:
- Advocate Julie Seton – she’s married to a DA politician who was on Knysna Tourism’s Board of Directors. She herself once applied to be a Director. As she is an advocate (not an attorney), it’s odd that she appears in the Lower Court against me on behalf of several people linked to Knysna Tourism.
- DA Deputy Mayor Esme Edge – ex-Director on the Knysna Tourism Board & on the Mayoral Committee.
- DA Councillor Peter Myers – on the Mayoral Committee and attended a meeting with me and MEC Alan Winde regards Knysna Tourism (Winde refused to hand over the recording of the meeting). I also opposed him as the DA’s leading figure trying to legalise public drinking areas. I take particular exception to him strongly implying that I was using a teenager for self-gain.
- DA Councillor Peter Willemse.
- DA Councillor Louise Hart.
- Candidate DA Councillor Dr. Martin Young.
- ex- Knysna Constituent and ex-Ward 10 Committee Member Kevin Grinaker – he was booted after my article about his bad attitude towards protestors.
- Manon McDonald – ex-Manager of the Knysna Electrical Department and currently working for the George Municipality, also DA-run. I have asked that she be investigated for allegedly giving her husband millions of rands worth of contract work for her department.
- Mark Allan – fervent supporter of Knysna Tourism who took over his business. I have a Protection order against him that he breaks on a daily basis.
- Baden Hall – ex-Knysna FM DJ who defended the ex-CEO of Knysna Tourism who was forced out of the organisation.
- Martin Hatchuel – tourism writer who has worked with the current CEO of Knysna Tourism, as an ex-business partner and as a more recent contractor.
- Candace Myers – wife of DA Councillor Peter Myers
- Mark Beard – the owner of Autolink Knysna, a man who virulently hates me despite never having had a conversation with me.
The DA connection is overwhelming which is why I have labelled it as the DA’s propaganda site…
… but that’s not the juiciest bit…
… that’s the remarkable timing of the shares of the posts by DA Deputy Mayor Esme Edge and Advocate Julie Seton… and the seeming giveaway mistake Seton made.
Read about that in ‘Exposing Advocate Julie Seton’.