18 is a ridiculous ‘legal age’. If I were President of Earth, I wouldn’t allow anyone to get married, drive or vote until they’re 25 years of age. Your initial reaction will be laughter but I ask that you play along in this hypothetical.
Sex is animal instinct and momentary so I’m not against teens having safe fun. In fact, encouraging positive sex will create more emotionally stable adults. But I’m strongly against young marriage cause it has greater consequences for the individual, especially women and the children they produce.
MY PLAN TO SAVE EARTH
- Age 12-18: Schooling includes civic responsibility and the rights of the individual. Everyone will know health to the level of a nurse. Everyone will know how their government works, and that it works for them. All schools will have Saturday activism, whether walking dogs for an animal shelter, taking poorer kids on trips or keeping the elderly company.
- Age 18-20: National service for Government and charities. Provides cheap labour which grows the country and pays for their higher education. More importantly, creates more responsible young adults.
- Age 20-24: Higher education. A person could gain an honours degree or fail one year and get a normal degree.
- Age 24-25 Government sponsors one year travel for graduates. This serves both as reward and life lesson. Half a million people travelling creates budget costs and an industry. 6 months will be spent in their home country so everyone has, for example, seen the sea, forests, deserts and mountains. Knowing their country will enable them to promote it. Then 6 months overseas will teach them other cultures and strengthen their country’s relation with other countries.
- Age 25: Full citizen rights.
During this period, young adults have met and worked with many different people, creating understanding and empathy, minimising prejudice. It’s likely that the pregnancy rate will have dropped but those who became parents will still get qualified as those doing national service will include caregivers.
Socialists will be happy. And liberals will follow as the result would be well educated citizens and empowered (but reasonable) capitalism. In time, as individual rights and the needs of society become balanced and intertwined, conflicting ideologies will vanish.
Ok, now that you’re voting for me to be President of Earth, tell me the main reason why I chose the age of 25 for someone to become ‘legal’? You can answer on my Facebook page.