Mark Allan is the owner of the Find It Knysna directory and is the self-proclaimed owner of over 400 web domains. The latter is contestable but that does not alter the fact that he considers the internet as a major part of his life and is consequently savvy to its appropriate or inappropriate usage. He claims to be running 3 businesses but everything i’ve discovered so far has been registered in his wife’s name.
My real name is Mike Hampton. My nickname is “Wicked Mike”, one I inherited from my days in the music industry, earned for being a straight-talker and entrenched by an old music website i had called Wicked Rock. I kept it because it distinguishes me from others and dominates the top 10 Google search results (despite there being 44 million returns) which assists SEO (Search Engine Optimisation).
I have 6 Knysna websites and created and manage another, each pursuing a different theme but together seeking the better health of Knysna. 5 of these have operated as a free service to Knysna. The 6th, Knysna Website Design, has the dual purpose of increasing Knysna’s web print cheaply and is the business keeping the others running.
- www.loveknysna.com (news for local residents and info for tourists)
- www.knysnacrimewatch.co.za (keeping an eye on crime)
- www.loveknysnaprojects.co.za (volunteers practicing good deeds)
- www.knysnakeep.org (addressing local politics and social issues)
- www.knysnaschools.co.za (an information portal and directory)
- www.knysnawebsitedesign.co.za (website design)
- I donated and manage www.JudahSquare.co.za for the Rastafarian community of Knysna – it belongs to them.
I give you details of what i do because this is what Mark Allan has attempted to destroy.
I have approximately 1400 subscribers between a Knysna newsletter and Knysna social media. At the count before the last court case appearance i’d composed over 1000 blogs. That figure would be greater if i included past websites and others who I’ve helped with their websites. Overall, the estimated word count, blogged for free, would be over 600 000 words.
I try help Knysna, whether it’s the dark side of exposing corruption or the happy side which aims at getting schools online, taking kids on cross-cultural and educational trips and more. In the past year, Love Knysna Projects has:
- Had the Judah Square logo designed and built the Judah Square website and compiled the info within. This was undertaken with the goal of increasing their tourism revenue and gaining understanding from the greater Knysna community.
- Taken children on trips to restaurants, the Knysna Elephant Park, Jaap se Baai, Jukani, Birds of Eden, Monkeyland, the Simola Dog Show, a picnic and hike on leisure Isle, and the Just Jinjer concert. I also hosted a kids pool party and braai in Hunter’s Home.
- Connected model and European downhill skating champion, Aki von Glasow, to Judah Square where he lived for several weeks giving them free Body Stress Release (BSR) treatment.
- Raised money for a Grade 11 student of Concordia High to go on an educational tour to Cape Town. She also gained school clothing from this.
- Distributed over 1000 donated cupcakes.
- Given away approximately R5000 worth of clothing which included schools socks.
- Had cartoon characters representing Knysna designed i.e. Sam the Seahorse, Larry the Loerie, Ellie the Elephant and Blue the Butterfly.
- Hosted the SAMSA Sea Pledge/Breakfast presentation to businessmen at the Knysna Yacht Club.
- Hosted the SAMSA Sea Pledge presentation to children at the Sea Cadets hall with lunch and trip to Coney Glen and Lookout View.
- Set up a coffee meeting to introduce the Sustainable Seas Trust to people wanting to protect the natural environment of Knysna.
On the activism side I’ve pursued many social and criminal issues. Highlights include:
Exposing the maladministration of Knysna Tourism. I was the only public voice calling for an inquiry into the mishandling of Knysna Tourism which dropped Tourism’s budget by millions. This was done with difficulty as it meant questioning the integrity of local politicians, the ex-Tourism Board and the Chamber of Business who had not only refused to investigate or call for an investigation but seemed to be, and still are, deliberately obstructing the truth.
- Exposing the Knysna Rent fraud of almost half a million and their approximate 50 victims.
- Exposing the second largest spammer (and scammer) in South Africa who is targeting Knysna accommodation owners.
- Informed Knysna on the proposed and attempted developments by questionable developers whose purpose could damage the future of our town.
- An article stopping a malware program called Sweetpacks which has had over 150 000 views and over 200 comments from people around the world.
- Giving the most comprehensive coverage in South Africa for the Kiani Satu shipwreck and oil spill.
I stress these contributions as they were done for free, required massive effort and time whose truth and purpose Mark Allan has tried to destroy with distortions and lies.
In Part 3 i get nearer the nitty-gritty of Mark Allan’s attempts to sabotage my efforts through a so-called community website, the Knysna-Plett Herald and the forum at GardenRoute.com.