A Committee of Parliament has responded to my allegations of Democratic Alliance (DA) corruption and maladministration by asking the Public Protector to investigate.
The allegations implicate many. From the town of Knysna to Cape Town, it involves municipal officials and politicians, managers and ministers. Ultimately, and especially because she was aware and never acted, responsibility must rest on the doorstep of Premier Helen Zille.
I’m Mike Hampton, an independent activist. This is a about power and cover-up. It should have, long ago, been one of the biggest stories in the history of the DA but most South African media refused to cover it, no good reason given. Locally, the actions of one newspaper should be considered criminal.
Although the ANC’s Secrecy Bill scares me and must be fought, there’s truth to the ruling party’s claim that media is biased. I’m hoping that, after 5 tough years and Parliament’s decision, the media will remember their duty to protect us, their readers and members of the public. Particularly, i hope that coverage will afford me protection.
There are many issues for the Public Protector to investigate of which some are:
- The repeated and illegal use of public funds to pay the debt of Knysna Tourism, a Section 21 company existing only because of those public funds yet run with perks for the few. Many DA politicians and the ANC’s Chief Whip were involved through their directors posts on the Board.
- The illegal awarding of a tender, to decide Knysna’s future, to an organisation run by a local property developer.
- R9-million in irregular tenders due to a “bonus” to local suppliers which was used to circumnavigated BEE.
- The illegal appointment of the Municipal Manager after his illegal appointment as CFO.
The husband of the Manager of a department receiving the majority of tenders, in the millions, for years.
- The unconstitutional blocking of communication.
- The DA’s use of pervasive propaganda to silence this whistleblower. Accusations ranged from child abuse to destroying the economy.
- The DA’s abuse of the Courts. 6 DA members and associates tried to silence me. A consistent character has been an advocate whose married to a DA politician and was secretly a DA candidate whilst opposing counsel.
Thuli Madonsela, whom i admire, is not representative of the entire Public Protector department. The choice by Parliament to ask the Public Protector to investigate carries irony in that part of the submitted complaint is against the Public Protector’s George office which chose not to investigate for a reason they knew to be false. The Public Protector previously failed to act on my complaint against that office.
ALL PUBLIC SERVANTS
MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE
This isn’t only about Knysna anymore. Many roads lead back to Cape Town. This is also about determining the heart of the Western Cape.
Look under the iceberg and discover the DA most don’t want to know… but need to know.
All public servants must be held accountable. All crime requires justice pursued.
A BIG thank you to activist Susan Campbell for contributing her research on some of these matters to Parliament.
Please support by Sharing. Consider a donation towards advertising this article.
You can discuss this article here on the Love Knysna Facebook page.
Love Knysna, Save Knysna!