Democratic Alliance corruption is to be tabled and considered by the National Council of Provinces (NCOP), the upper house of the Parliament of South Africa.
The provincial representatives of the Select Committee on Petitions & Executive Undertakings voted in favour of the following recommendations to NCOP:
That the National Office of the Public Protector investigate all the issues raised in the [Love Knysna] petition.
That the National Office of the Public Protector further investigate the reluctance on the part of its Provincial Office to investigate the complaints raised in the petition.
That the National Office of the Public Protector report to the Committee on the progress it has made in investigating the issues raised in the petition, within 60 days of the tabling of this report in the House.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL DOCUMENT
(note that there are factual errors and many omissions
e.g. several politicians made false statements to the media
but Premier Helen Zille did not do that. However, she is implicated.)
LOVE KNYSNA PETITION
The LOVE KNYSNA PETITION involves widespread corruption and maladministration by Western Cape Government and Knysna Municipality politicians and employees. The spotlight is harshest on the Democratic Alliance (DA) but could never have happened without assistance from local ACDP, ANC & COPE councillors.
Those who forsook service to the Public may be eventually punished after a long, dangerous fight for justice by this activist, Mike Hampton, who submitted the petition.
It resulted in 3 hearings before a Committee of Parliament in February, May and September 2017. During those proceedings, the previous DA Mayor of Knysna, Georlene Wolmarans, twice failed to appear and was threatened with arrest by Parliament and forced to apologise for remarks she’d made to the media. At the final hearing, new DA Mayor Eleanore Spies never appeared based on the excuse that she was working on finalising the town’s budget. It was soon discovered that she’d lied and was actually electioneering with senior DA leaders such as Mmusi Maimane 300km away from her town i.e DA leadership must have been aware that she was not going to appear, and possibly instructed her not to,
DEMOCRATIC ALLIANCE CORRUPTION
The allegations of Democratic Alliance corruption include (but are not exclusive) to the following:
- The illegal awarding of a major tender to property developers that never won the bid. DA MEC Anton Bredell green-lit the project despite his own Department of Local Government’s damning report against it. That report was initially hidden from the Public.
- The illegal funding and existence of Knysna Tourism, as well as payments that seemed to favour cronies and disadvantage the poor. DA MEC Alan Winde failed to act on evidence, instead of seeking to protect the organisation which had DA politicians on its board (of which one was later promoted to the Council’s Mayoral Committee). Recently, I was informed that Winde had instructed that Knysna Tourism be illegally funded again – it was. The fallout led to a faction war in the local DA with Deputy Mayor Peter Myers, the only DA councillor loud against it, being kicked off the MAYCO in what may be a nationally historic Motion of No Confidence move by the DA against one of their own.
- The illegal funding of ANC councillor studies, including the Chief Whip, may have bought the Opposition’s silence in Council during the past administration.
- The deliberate blocking of communication by the Municipality and the failure of many DA institutions, including the Office of Premier Helen Zille, the DA Federal Executive and the Eden District Corruption Hotline to act on detailed information presented.
- The illegal appointment of then-Municipal Manager Grant Easton. Despite the DA standing with him in Parliament, lying that they’d done nothing wrong, he would later quit during an outside forced disciplinary hearing that cost millions.
- The illegal appointments of Director Dawie Adonis and Communications Manager Fran Kirsten (Mayor Eleanore Spies’ friend and election campaign manager), and the possible cronyistic appointment of two high-ranking firemen. All were questionably in leadership positions during the poorly handled Great Knysna Fire.
- Rowan Spies, the life partner of Mayor Spies, was strongly fingered in a forensic investigation regarding ANC-linked graft and an amount that was paid into their joint account. After I met with Helen Zille, and subsequently sent her lots of information, she allowed Rowan Spies to become a DA Councillor in Eden, the district under which Knysna falls. Despite two alleged stints in rehab in 2017 and a warrant of arrest for his failure to appear in court, he was promoted to the Mayoral Committee a few months later.
- Zille also allowed the main character in the propaganda campaigns against this petitioner, [name withheld owing to court proceedings], to become a DA Councillor wherewith he has continued his dirty work for the party.
- Other issues include the leasing of Knysna’s famous East Head without tender, the complicity of the Knysna-Plett Herald, and failures by various departments/organisations to answer Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) submissions.
COVER-UP OF DEMOCRATIC ALLIANCE CORRUPTION
The DA’s reaction to evidence was cover-up; threatening this petitioner and businesses if they dealt with me; running propaganda campaigns that falsely associated me with a missing child and child abuse; the DA doctor falsely diagnosing me as a sociopath and sending it to the Cape Bar Association; and repeatedly taking me to court (the common figure being an advocate who was a DA candidate married to a DA councillor), mostly for protection from harassment orders which act as cheap gag orders, preventing truth to the public and being a major Constitutional violation.
The response by people such as Premier Helen Zille, Mmusi Maimane’s Chief of Staff Geordin Hill-Lewis, DA Eastern Region manager Jaco Londt, the Hawks, the local SAPS, the Knysna Magistrates’ Court, the Cape Bar Association and the Public Protector has been shocking, suggesting provincial allegiance to the DA no matter the cost to the Public. The evidence clearly shows the need for national intervention.
The video of the song and dance by MEC Bredell when questioned by the ANC in Parliament would be laughable if the matters weren’t affecting so many lives.
Even the Public Protector (Advocates Bruce Wessels and Gideon Landman in George, & Sune Griessel in Cape Town) acted so strangely that their mishandling of 10 detailed complaints requires investigation. My disappointment, in an institution I once revered, is painful.
It’s notable that the EFF was initially overjoyed at the prospect of their opposition being accused in Parliament but that they switched to grossly unprofessional behaviour after they formed country-wide alliances with the DA.
The incredibly delayed Parliamentary process has, so far, lasted almost 3 years. That gave Democratic Alliance corruption time to grow, costing taxpayers millions more. It is my belief that once the cover-up had begun, the DA was in a catch-22 – if they investigated it, the DA would be nationally exposed, particularly Zille’s inner circle. That gave local rotten politicians and municipal staff carte blanche to become more arrogant and blatant with their crimes.
Some topics received front-page coverage in the Cape Times and 1 Committee hearing received widespread coverage on SABC news. However, media has been mostly, and disturbingly, silent, focused mainly on the corruption of the Presidency rather than the South African problem of corruption itself. One newspaper told me that they’d been ordered to reduce the risk of litigation which included avoiding the DA whom they believed would sue regardless of the merits of an article.
The DA doesn’t respect transparency and whistleblowers as it claims to in their marketing campaigns. In, reality, the DA attacks. I expect another difficult period.
The date of the tabling of the Love Knysna Petition is strangely unknown. Hidden forces may be involved. In the life I’ve lived in recent years, that would be normal rather than paranoia. The recommendations of the Committee are 4 months old and had to be gained through PAIA.
AN EXAMPLE OF WHO THE DA TRULY ARE
The DA’ s Dr Martin Young threatened me with:
“You seem not to realize that you are in no position to negotiate. I’m surprised you even tried. We hold all the cards, and have all the power to make your life really and truly miserable… jail is more than likely your next Knysna destination.”
HONOURABLE JOURNALISTS NEEDED
Although I’ve been scathing of the media for not fulfilling their role as the Fourth Estate, and for seemingly taking sides in our country which desperately needs an impartial force, it’s still my hope that their long-awaited mass coverage would provide me with some defence and the Public a defender.
Some of what’s happened will tie into the cover-up of the mishandling of the Great Knysna Fire. A lot of people have a lot to lose. Expect lies.
Any lies the DA tells to a reporter will gratefully become more evident. Consequently, I expect them to refuse to answer. Nevertheless, I encourage you to ask them to ask their political underlings to hand over all court documents involving me so that it can clearly be seen that there has been legal ‘mischief’ (despite me having gained two protection orders of my own that they continuously break without fear that our locally corrupted SAPS will arrest them).
I’m tired of 7 years of the many oblique attacks by the DA and do not yet know if Parliament will act honourably. Consequently, yesterday, I challenged the DA Federal Executive and their cronies to take me to court directly i.e. as a political party. I’d welcome the presenting of my evidence at their cost when I win.
Unless the DA leadership provides evidence contrary to statements I’ve provided for their review, this week I’ll post Facebook adverts with facts and thoughts that collectively ask them to sue me.
Are the DA too big to fall?
Will I have an ‘accident’ one day? Be framed? Jailed by a corrupt Judge? Considering all that has happened so far, the DA possibly being too powerful and well-connected to prosecute, these are real fears for me. I live in the dark of the unDemocratic Alliance.
Life must contain hope so let me hang onto the thought that action shooting from Parliament leads to a real investigation of Democratic Alliance corruption by the Public Protector, SALGA and the Hawks that results in some politicians paying large fines and, more importantly, as many as possible being jailed (as happened in Oudtshoorn to their enemies for lesser crimes).
A justice result stands more chance with an ‘All the President’s Men’ inspired and empowered type of media.
- Committee Petitions & Executive Undertakings Secretary Nkanyiso Mkhize – email@example.com
- Parliament Office of the Secretary Controller Gail Dyers – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Protector Spokesperson Cleopatra Mosana – 072 321 7585
- DA Federal Executive Chairperson James Selfe – email@example.com / 021 465 1431
- Premier Helen Zille Assistant Myrtle Jonathan – Myrtle.Jonathan@westerncape.gov.za
- Mmusi Maimane Chief of Staff Geordin Hill-Lewis – Geordinh@da.org.za
- Knysna Mayor (ex-Speaker) Eleanore Spies – 044 302 6580 / 084 261 1144
- Knysna Councillor Peter Myers – 083 413 6086 / 083 447 9315