Attention: NCOP Chair Thandi Modise
Is DA Corruption Being Protected by Parliament and the ANC?
I write to you with desperate necessity. My words may be fattened with DA corruption but it’s my fear, arisen from 7 years painful experience, that there are ANC members protecting the DA’s crooked leadership. If that’s true, then there are only political party definitions among us common people whilst different rules apply to those who rule from above (instead of for us). That would mean democracy has died and that our South Africa is in deeper danger than most imagined.
But I’m choosing to hope I’m wrong and thus I’m asking you, Thandi Modise, to tell me that it’s lie and that you will draw a definitive line between what is right and wrong so that justice can find direction.
I’m calling upon you to restore law and order. I’m calling upon Parliament to treat Helen Zille, Mmusi Maimane, Geordin-Hill Lewis, the DA Federal Executive, especially James Selfe whom I believe is the true leader of the DA , and many others as the suspects they are, as villains who have knowingly allowed their members and cronies to try destroy me for exposing their party’s crimes which may have begun in my lost home of Knysna but now infects further. It’s crime so pervasive that it’s possible it can only exist with their instruction. It’s no surprise that over 30 PAIA requests remain unanswered or were answered incompletely .
Thandi, as the Honourable Chair of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) of the Upper House of the Parliament of South Africa, your role is important. I address you as ‘Thandi’ because we’re all meant to be citizens, none more than another. I need you to consider me and my suffering brethren as equals who matter. I need you to ask yourself what would you do if you were me, followed by what you can do with the power entrusted to you by the Public. If we cannot cut to who we are, then how can you inspect the bones that I’ve delivered to you?
I refer to my complaint which NCOP’s Committee Petitions & Executive Undertakings dubbed as ‘The Love Knysna Petition’ . Do not be bogged down by a small town’s name in that title because it affects the DA’s leadership which in turn will affect the coming national elections if they are exposed and punished. Powerful people have a lot to lose which would explain the political madness stabbing at me.
DEMOCRATIC ALLIANCE CORRUPTION
In brief, the Love Knysna Petition involves tender corruption, illegal appointments, cronyism, fraud and severe intimidation. Notable examples include:
1. The illegal funding of Knysna Tourism which opens a bigger can of worms in the Western Cape. This Section 21 company, with the knowledge and approval of Alan Winde, the DA’s MEC Agriculture, Economic Development & Tourism, has received approximately R28-million since I first reported it. The monies were given without tender process and never passed through the Grant-in-Aid Committee. There’s further contravention of the Municipal Finance Management Act in that the organisation failed to use tenders in disbursal of those funds. Recently, the Municipality gained an expensive legal opinion in hope it would protect them but, instead, it concurred with me. Nevertheless, they chose to ignore it and Knysna Tourism was funded again. Apparently the same illegality is happening in many of the DA’s 30 Western Cape municipalities i.e. the sum will be much bigger. If it’s true that the DA intended making a black face the mayor of Cape Town so that the white face of Alan Winde would be more acceptable as the next Premier, then their political plans are at risk. 
2. The illegal ISDF tender – www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mb6b2L-KzE (SABC3 news clip). The ISDF is the 30-year plan for Knysna, a vast extension of the 5-year IDP which South African Municipalities are accustomed too. It was rumoured that Knysna was the test case for all DA towns. Although it makes sense to decide, over the long term, where populations may settle, businesses should be developed etc, it’s counter-productive and downright scary when the foundation is a corrupt municipality and political party. The first tender, arguably the most important, was given to property developers, with the most conflict of interest, who never won the tender. After years of protest, the Western Cape Local Government, as headed by MEC Anton Bredell, were forced to investigate… and then refused to hand over the damning report which had to be obtained by another activist, Susan Campbell, through the previous Manager of the George Office of the Public Protector . In between, Bredell defied law and the report to give the tender the go-ahead. Then the property developers were illegally paid more, over and above the tender amount. In the Provincial Legislature, Bredell repeatedly lied that various investigations had cleared it which doubles in meaning as having cleared him. Parliament has the video of that in my evidence. The Public Protector did not investigate. It provided a document. They were supposed to investigate but have refused to explain why they didn’t, as thus the complaint remains open. Parliament was told that Local Government was still investigating yet we have their damning report. Additionally, how could they still be investigating one tender 4 years later? After then Municipal Manager Grant Easton’s testimony to Parliament, which was fully supported by the DA, the DA hypocritically attempted cover-up by instituting disciplinary hearings against Easton. During those proceedings, Easton quit. Despite MEC Bredell’s perjury, he has not been held to account by the ANC. 
3. To get around BEE, the Knysna Municipality introduced an illegal preferential procurement policy that in practice gave non-BEE local companies business. This continued after the Auditor General made a finding against it [5 – also in charge sheet].
4. The past two Municipal Managers of Knysna were illegally hired. In between, an Acting Municipal Manager illegally served a second term. Without tender or qualifications, Mayor Eleanore Spies’ friend, Fran Kirsten, was contracted to run the Communications Department which, in effect, blocked communication and issued propaganda. When the new CFO refused to continue paying her, she was given a job in the Mayor’s office. In the case of the illegal appointment of Director Dawie Adonis, also unqualified and approved by MEC Bredell, the Municipality responded to citizen pressure by simply moving him to another illegal position (which hadn’t been advertised). There, in what was a part-time position, the Municipality recommended he continue to earn his more than a million in annual salary, strangely as a subordinate in a town with only 76,000 people. 
5. It would appear that cover-up is maintained by the DA by the hiring of compromised people whose loyalty is thus to them and not the Public. This may have had tragic consequences. During the destruction of the Great Knysna Fire, two of those in charge were unqualified and illegally appointed. It’s possible that the Fire Department was also compromised. Instead of investigating, the Fire Chief threatened me twice. Again, the DA did nothing… except to, in conflict of interest, investigate themselves and clear themselves of any wrongdoing in the cause of the fire, this despite external reports pointing the finger at them. Not only does the DA and administration officials have a lot to lose but there’s the liability factor – an alleged R480-million in claims against them. That may be more important to the DA than those who died and all of us who lost homes and possessions.
6. For me, and hopefully for you too, Thandi, the most insidious was how the DA reacted to my exposures. Instead of honest communication, investigation, or punishment where investigations had been concluded, all got away with their crimes, some even promoted. THEN THEY ATTACKED ME via a flood of court cases and social media propaganda pages [well documented in the Love Knysna Petition]. Even the Captain of the local SAPS went online to demand I leave town. I’ve been under threat by the police before.
7. Enter Premier Helen Zille. She, like many other powerful figures in the DA, has been aware of wrongdoings since almost the beginning. However, she’s more directly. implicated in that she had a meeting with me wherein she lied to me that she would investigate. That evidence included the crimes of two DA municipal candidates. One was the primary figure in a vicious propaganda campaign against me that sought to label me as a pedophile, mentally sick, destroyer of the economy etc. They went so far as to compose an illegal psychiatric profile of me, vouched by a doctor as if I were a patient . The other subject was Rowan Spies, the partner of Mayor Eleanore Spies who, like her, had previously been ANC. Until I exposed it, the DA had buried a forensic report into him being involved in graft . Why bury evidence against the opposition unless power groups transcend parties and there were already plans to bring them both into the DA fold? Despite the evidence, the DA made him a District Councillor and his wife the DA Mayor. The other politician in question, the propagandist who sent me direct threats via email, was made a PR councillor. Was that his reward? After all, despite his terrible actions against me, he was only part of the polluted wave of blue that had been crashing against me since I’d first tried to do the right thing which was to report crime. Why would Zille allow more compromised people into power unless she was actively part of the cover-up.
8. Maimane’s Chief of Staff, Geordin-Hill Lewis, responded to my corruption evidence by emailing me that the DA stands 100% with their [corrupt] Mayor and that he was instructing all Maimane’s staff to ban my emails .
There’s so much to discuss but I don’t detail more here because you, Thandi, are in possession of the Love Knysna Petition and hundreds of pages of evidence. And as this is an open letter, readers should note that a large amount of the information is publicly available thanks to the valuable service of the Parliamentary Monitoring Group.
Secondly, there’s the absurdity of my being restricted to talk about large aspects of this freely available information because Western Cape courts have worked with the DA to try silence me against the Public interest. I understand the severity of my words. Our system seems corrupted at all levels so as to service power centres. In the Western Cape, inaction by the Hawks, the Public Protector and the ANC has only served the DA’s interest. That the Court has repeatedly refused me witnesses and blatantly excluded my evidence and any mention of the DA so as to deliver uninformative judgements against me, is complicity in corruption. In one case, the Magistrate wouldn’t allow me in the court room! In another, a different Magistrate found me guilty without considering my affidavit and evidence (almost 300 pages). All the cases are aimed at at shutting me up so that none should dare to speak against the DA.
I was also found in contempt of Court in a case wherein I had unknowingly blogged whilst a case was ongoing (having been told it was over). I was given a 3-month jail sentence suspended for 3 years. That has been like a noose around my neck whilst I’ve fought this evil the best I can. The DA are keen to hang me.
Terribly, the Protection from Harassment Act, whose main goal was to protect abused women, is being used as a cheap method for politicians to gag me. This law against abuse is being used to abuse. That has implications for activists across South Africa.
There are many more crooks I want to name but I’m prevented from doing so despite our Constitutional duty to warn our fellow citizens of danger.
I strongly believe that none of our esteemed constitutional NGO’s and anti-corruption organisations will assist me because they’re politically affiliated e.g. they’re all aimed at the ANC rather than at corruption itself (which is found on all sides).
WHERE WAS THE ANC?
Because of their repeated knowledge of corruption, most of the DA’s national leadership can be charged criminally under the Prevention & Combating of Criminal Activities Act. My evidence is repetitiously strong.
Why hasn’t the ANC and EFF jumped at the opportunity to serve a blow against the DA whilst serving the Public?
The EFF is simple hypocrisy, self interest more important to them than the Public they pretend to represent. Initially, the EFF were excited at my evidence, especially that involving racism. Bernard Joseph, leader of the Western Cape had a productive conversation with me in my home. He promised action. In Parliament, at the first hearing of the Love Knysna Petition, an EFF Committee member couldn’t restrain herself from laughing with joy at my verbal evidence. I even sent the EFF proof of a right-winger physically threatening Julius Malema online . Why didn’t they use it? And why, at the third hearing, did the EFF suddenly label me as a psychopath with no explanation (to which I sent complaint to the Committee). The simplest explanation is that the EFF went into coalition with the DA and proved that they will betray South Africans for their convenience, the same way the DA has repeatedly done in Knysna. Julius is encouraged to prove me wrong by starting to do the right thing in this situation.
Why was the local ANC absent through all this, citizens such as myself left to fight naked against armoured political beasts? On a local level, ANC REC comrades of previously ANC-Mayor-now-DA-Mayor Spies became back-to-back Chief Whips in the Knysna Municipality. The first was Stephen de Vries. He and his right-hand man, Clive Witbooi, illegally had their studies paid by the Municipality with no objection from the DA (who again refused to investigate). Is that why meaningful opposition ended? .
Then Velile Waxa, one of the most well known local ANC members, ran as an Independent, receiving funding from the DA for his campaign. Waxa’s defence when I revealed it was to state that it was only a minority of the money he received. Waxa was elected and proceeded to mostly vote with the DA. It made mockery of the elections. Recently, it was reported that the Mayor agreed to allow Waxa to transfer R250,000 for capital in improvements in his ward to buying soccer kits .
When DA Deputy Peter Myers challenged the Council regarding illegal appointments and illegal tenders, he was stripped of his position on the MAYCO (Mayoral Committee) and replaced by Waxa (the DA replacing a DA member with a non-DA councillor!). Despite his qualifications as an advocate and chartered account, Myers lost his position as Section 80 Finance Chair to a person with no qualifications. The DA Federal Executive is, oddly and currently holding a disciplinary hearing against him. However, Glynnis Breytenbach and company won’t include my evidence so the DA’s process cannot be trusted.
The ANC lighties are not alone. Big weights such as Faiez Jacobs have refused, for years, to act on my evidence. There’s long list of them, the latest being Deputy Minister COGTA Andries Nel. In the Western Cape, the ANC doesn’t appear to be ANC at all which is undoubtedly why the party has fared so poorly in several elections. Their grandstanding moments and recent De Lille media opportunisms have nothing to do with being effective opposition. It’s sideshow as the expense of the People of the Western Cape.
The situation is so impractical and difficult that I’ve had to approach the KZN ANC to try reach the NEC to find out what is happening in Cape Town.
It must be noted that President Cyril Ramaphosa’s office is also in possession of the evidence. Unfortunately staff members Lerato Kgomo, Nokuthula Mbatha and Rahima Shaik will not respond to follow-ups or tell me who has been delegated the responsibility.
If the anti-corruption stance of President Ramaphosa and Western Cape ANC Leader Ebrahim Rasool are to believed, much more effort on the ground is required, even if its only to look at what’s right in front of them, gift-wrapped from a citizen activist with more credibility for having supported no party and thus no agenda except to stand against corruption.
I’m unaffiliated, have never been a member of a political party. Loyalty to colours can make one blind. Instead, I see the good and evil in all sides and the necessity for opposition wherever there are rulers. As the DA must oppose the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal, so the ANC must oppose the DA in Western Cape so that there can be greater truth where forces meet, a fundamental check and balance protecting our Constitution and with democracy at heart.
THANDI, WILL YOU HELP?
What’s happening in DA territory is reminiscent of the National Party during Apartheid, when all levels of government had one purpose which was suppression for self interest. I live in fear of being jailed or worse, for the ‘crime’ of whistleblowing.
Whether by deliberate political intent or government incompetence, The Love Knysna Petition has limped through Parliament for 3 exhausting years. Eventually there were 3 hearings during which DA politicians were not held to account for perjury or failing to appear. The Committee was not held to account for promising to protect me but failing to do so.
Nevertheless, in September 2017, a majority of the Provinces voted in my favour, recommending to the House of Parliament that the National Office of the Public Protector investigate all my allegations and why the Western Cape offices of the Public Protector failed to do their job. Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane would have reported back to Parliament in 2 months but didn’t because the recommendations have stagnated in your office for the past 8 months.
The House requires an update which would include what has happened after the Knysna Fire.
Disturbingly, SALGA, the South African Local Government Association which is supposed to provide oversight, has joined in the corruption. It’s what’s prompted me to appeal to you one last time.
Instead of condemning Mayor Spies and Speaker Georlene Wolmarans for illegally using Public funds for personal legal fees aimed at silencing me further, a high ranking SALGA official stated to the Knysna Council that SALGA will support them in suing me for defamation, using me as a test case! Understand the far reaching implications of that. DA corruption is going to be protected by illegally suing me which, if successful, would lead to the suing of activists and concerned citizens nationwide, the attack funded by the defendant’s own taxpayer monies. My complaint to Minister Nel remains unanswered, his PA unable to turn her dodging into credible politeness.
Those 8 months with you, those 3 years that the Love Knysna Petition has decayed in Parliament, has cost the Public millions of rands. Unchecked corruption is arrogant in its appetite. It eats and eats and eats, then yells, “Bring me more.” Like a mother, it requires Parliament to say, “NO MORE. It’s time to put you to bed.”
Thandi Modise, your delay has left me dislocated and at risk, providing the DA the opportunity to pursue their destruction of the truth, a town and me. I appeal to you to be speedily dutiful with the honesty of the forthcoming elections in mind. The DA cannot be allowed to again run on the lie to the Public that they are anti-corruption and for good governance, transparency and accountability.
It’s possible that, previously, you never understood the severity of the situation. If so, you do now. I’m hoping that it will make you passionate enough to light a fire in the House of Parliament.
Proof of the above claims will be provided to any publication requesting such so that it is legally covered. However, some can only be sent with the condition that they will not be shared publicly owing to this author having to dodge court orders preventing the mentioning of several of the people involved. However, credibility will be found by readers in this zip folder – www.loveknysna.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Evidence.zip (download to your computer desktop, right-click on it to unzip). It follows the reference numbering in the letter above, as repeated with more detail below:
 James Selfe has been Executive Director/Chairperson of the Federal Executive since 1992, for the DP and DA, the DP having become the DA. In 2018, he again ran unopposed. Real power isn’t elected, it lasts longer. With the latest Zille, De Lille and Maimane fiascos, he has recently commented more prominently in the media.
 I’ve written over 1000 emails to government which I’ll provide when these matters eventually get to court. I have spoken publicly to Helen Zille twice and once in private meeting thereafter. MEC Alan Winde met me and then refused to hand over the recording of the meeting. I have reference numbers from Provincial departments. I have couriered and registered evidence sent to them i.e. tracked as further evidence. Over the 3 hearings, the DA had 3 representatives in the Committee of NCOP that ruled in my favour. I’ve no doubt that the DA were the minority voting against me. The point is that lack of awareness of my evidence is impossible.
 The Love Knysna Petition and many references to it are publicly available without me having to get myself in trouble.
 Cliffe Decker Attorneys legal opinion on funding of Section 21 company Knysna Tourism.
[5a] ISDF tender investigation signed by WC MEC Anton Bredell and Head Local Government Graham Paulse.
[05b-g] Charge sheet against ex-Municipal Manager Grant Easton which includes the ISDF tender.
 I share my complaints to the Public Protector regards illegal appointments.
 The threats are well documented in the Love Knysna Petition but I cannot republish owing to court orders. However, this publication has received the proof for verification but on condition it won’t be published. It’s contradictory and ridiculous in that this publication had the evidence long before the court orders but I’d rather play safe. I’ve included a photo by a local newspaper that clearly shows Zille and I seated in discussion.
 Forensic report strongly suggesting that Rowan Spies, partner of Mayor Spies, was involved in graft before he became a DA councillor.
 Geordin-Hill Lewis’ wrongful response to corruption and complaints. This shows the state of DA Leader Mmusi Maimane’s office i.e. without integrity.
 Letter sent to EFF regarding racist threats against Julius Malema.
 Complaint to Public Protector regards illegal ANC study payments in Knysna.
 FB post recounting Council Meeting wherein the DA’s unofficial partner, ex-ANC Velile Waxa, is allowed to re-appropriate a quarter million rand to soccer kits.