The Act seeks to:
- Regulate the categories of property in respect of which rates may be levied;
- Regulate the time frames of publication of the resolutions levying rates and what must be contained in the promulgated resolution;
- Provide for the exclusion from the rates of certain categories of public service infrastructure;
- Give powers to a municipality to levy different rates on vacant land;
- Give power to the MEC of Local Government to extend the period of validity of a valuation roll by additional two years;
- Amend the dates on which a supplementary valuation takes effect;
- Address the problems that have been experienced in the implementation of the Local Government: Municipal Property Rates Act, 2004.