The competition will be judged as follows:
Junior Learners (6 – 12 yrs) – POEM, submitted in English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa
- Write a poem based on ONE of the following subjects: Lucky the Loerie • The Wayward Whale • An Enchanted Forest.
- No less than 15 lines and no more than 20 lines. Any poems outside of these limits will not be considered.
- The number of lines must be indicated on the entry.
Senior Learners (13 yrs – Matric) – SHORT STORY, submitted in English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa
- Write a short story based on ONE of the following subjects: Tracks, Trails & Footprints • A Sea Rescue • The Chjoo Tjoe’s last trip.
- No less than 400 words and no more than 600 words. Any stories outside of these limits will not be considered. The number of words must be indicated on the entry.
First Prize – Short Story and Poem: English, Afrikaans & isiXhosa – Prestigio 7 inch Multipad
Second Prize – Short Story and Poem: English, Afrikaans & isiXhosa – MP3/4 Player
Your name and age must be clearly written on your entry form and entry.
- The poem or short story should show your creativity and technical excellence with the language, keeping a subtle “Knysna flavour” and respect for the theme. The work must be original and written only by you.
- Entry form and entry must be handed in on A4 size paper. No faxes, CD’s or emails will be accepted. Entries must be sent to or dropped off at the Knysna Pam Golding Property Office,34 Main Road, Knysna 6570. Entrants must keep copies of their work. Entries, will not be returned.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Closing date for submissions: Friday 15th February 2013
- All winning entries will be published by The Knysna Literary Festival. By entering, you agree to this condition.
- A panel of judges will select the finalists from each category. The winners will be announced on Tuesday, 19th March at Knysna High School Hall at 13h00. The judges’ decision is final.
The Knysna Literary Festival Young Writers Competition is created to inspire YOU to write.
Download: Young Writers Competition entry form
For more information contact: Sasha Campbell – 082 450 9301.
To learn more about the festival, visit their website.